Saturday, July 23, 2016

The world says I am nothing

I have been a stay at home mom for 11 years.  In the last 4 years in particular, I have been "doing" nothing.  I don't work outside the home.  I don't volunteer at my church.  My kids aren't in sports.  And I don't have a hobby except reading, if that counts.  By the world's standards, I do nothing of value.  I don't "serve" others by being "in ministry" and I hang out around my house, taking care of my ten year old and a petting zoo full of animals.

But when my 26 year old calls needing an ear, I am here..  When my daughter wakes up in the morning, we have all the time in the world together to cuddle and catch up.  When my husband needs a bit of encouragement to keep going in his own daily grind, I am here to cook him breakfast, pack his lunch with a love note, and send him off with a kiss.  When my dad is staring death in the face, I am here.  When my grandpa is dying of cancer... I am here. If I were busy whirling about in "doing", I couldn't see the needs in front of me. The list of people God has given me to Love is plenty big for now.  I am called to this.



No comments:

Post a Comment